Thursday, August 22, 2013

Interview with Author Irene Helenowski

I had the privilege to review and interview Author Irene Helenowski with her book





 Order of the Dimensions




1. What inspired you to write your first book? 

 I was watching a special on the multiverse theory on the Science channel and was wondering how cool it would be to write a story about characters travelling between dimensions.
And in promoting my book, it sort of evolved into a tool to promote the sciences to young adults as well. 

2. What book are you currently reading

  Forever Young by Gerry Simpkins.

3. What books have most influenced your life the most?  

Quo Vadis, The Grapes of Wrath, I, Robot - basically a wide range of literature.

4. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?  

Michael Crichton.  I just really like how he could get into technical details yet make them understandable for the reader.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?  

Trying to get all the stories to fit together so the plot "flows" easily.

6. How do you react to a bad review of one of your books.

  I look at the weaknesses that the reviewers point out and try to improve on them.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? 

I just finished my dissertation and still had all this writing energy.  So I decided on trying fiction and since the multiverse theory fascinated me, I thought about writing a book where the characters lead different lives in different dimensions.

8. What's the worst job you've had?  

Don't hate me but I've loved all my jobs.  Unless you count book promoter.  I still consider it sort of a hobby myself but it's definitely tougher than I thought, LOL :)

 9.  Typewriter or computer? 

Computer.

10. Ballpoint, univalve, or fountain pen?  

Ballpoint.

11. What's more important: characters or plot?
  
Characters, as they drive the plot :)

12. Can you describe the mundane details of writing: how many hours a day do you devote to writing? Do you write a draft on paper or at a computer? 

I just write whatever comes to me on my computer, either at home or sometimes during my lunch hour at work.

13. When you where a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? 

A pediatrician.  As a statistician, I sort of do that work though as I do collaborate with several physicians doing pediatric research :)

14. What are you currently working on?  

I am currently working on the sequel.
 
15. Any last thoughts for your readers?  

Just hope they enjoy the story if they pick it up :)
Order of the Dimensions

No comments:

Post a Comment