Saturday, August 17, 2013

INTERVIEW WITH HARMONY STALTER


Harmony Stalter


 Author: Harmony Stalter
Book: Two Romantic, Two Suspenseful

1.     What inspired you to write your first book?

I was working full time for an individual that would talk a lot, but their body language never seem to match up. I became very interested in what they were really saying. I began researching the different movements. The more this person talked, the more I began to understand what he was really trying to say.

2. Do you have a specific writing style?


I cannot say that I stick to one style. For instance, in the body language book it was more of a how to guide. The cookbook, while full of instructions and recipes, still was written a bit differently with some questions and answers. The poetry book is just that. It goes through many years of heartache and happiness. The latest release, Two Romantic, Two Suspenseful has four very different short stories told in four different ways.

3. What books have most influenced your life the most?


There are so many books that have had an impact on my life. The first novel I remember reading from cover to cover was “Pet Cemetery” by Stephen King. I was almost 10 years old. I loved reading from a very young age. “To Kill a Mocking Bird” by Harper Lee and “Of Mice and Men” by John Steinbeck I read in a day. They were so well written and captivating that I was not able to put them down.  

4. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?


There are a certain few that I follow closely and read all their works. I can say that I take a little piece of each of them when I sit down to compose a story. Stephen King, Patricia Cornwell, Sue Grafton, and Robert E. Bailey are some of the writers I would consider mentors. It will never be just one that has taught me how to create a story. Everyone book I read teaches me something new.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?


Deciding on what order to place the stories, then letting it go into the world. I think that is the hardest part for all authors. We will read our works over and over again, finally releasing them, only to question if it was too soon.

6. How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?


I look at all reviews as constructive criticism. I know that I will not please all readers, but negative review allows me to strive for something more the next time I place pen to paper or fingers to the keyboard.

7. Where' did you get the idea to do a collection of short stories instead of a full length novel?


I have written a ton of short stories over the years. I wanted my first jump into the fiction world to be something everyone could get in to. With four different short stories, I figured this was the way to put my “feelers” out and see what spoke to the audience.

8. What's the worst job you've had?


I have only worked in a few industries. I have been in retail, fast food, architecture, and sales and marketing. Each has taught me different things about myself, changing me for the better. I really cannot say that I have had a bad job, just maybe a bad employer.

9.  Typewriter or computer?


I always begin with a notepad and pen, then computer.

10. Ballpoint, univalve, or fountain pen?


Always a ballpoint pen until it runs out in the middle of a good run and I toss it across the room.

11. What's more important: characters or plot?


They are both equally important. You have to have characters that a person can relate to and a plot that makes them want to finish the story.

12. How long does it take to write a book?


The time it takes to write a book depends on a few factors. The subject matter, the research process, the story ideas and flow, the amount of time a person has to commit to it, and the editing process. It can be anywhere from a few months to a couple of years before a book is completed.

13. When you where a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?


When I was four, I wanted to be a veterinarian. I always grew up with animals and still have them. When I was a teenager, I wanted to be a writer. I wrote things and only showed them to a few people. I went to college and became and architectural drafter, figuring that was a better career. Work as that for a while. I began full time writing for local magazines and began my own freelance writing business in 2005. Since, I have gone back to college and receive a Bachelor’s degree in Communications. I finally achieve my teenage dream.

14. What are you currently working on?


Currently, I am working on two novels. One is a crime/thriller/suspense set around the town I live in. The second is a romance novel involving a widow and a farmhand.

15. Any last thoughts for your readers?


To my readers, I hope that you found this book as enjoyable to read as I did to write. I hope you give a new writer a chance and find a book that you cannot put down. May you find your true passion and make it a viable career choice. Strive for your dreams and take it one day at a time. You will make there.
You can keep in contact with me and find out about everything I have going on at the following links:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HarmonysFreelanceWritingWorld
Twitter: @writer247
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4639373.Harmony_Stalter
Website: http://www.harmonysfreelancewritingworld.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment